Sunday, February 22, 2009

My 32-Square Kitchen: A Baking Day


On Friday I mentioned that my kitchen is small--uber small--with thirty-two square feet of elbow room to be exact.  Needless to say, when I'm at work in my kitchen, whether breakfast, lunch, dinner or today, my infamous baking day, I work alone, all a-l-o-n-e.  

No, not really.  I use my baking day as a way to spend thirty minutes with each of my four children, but not. all. at. the. same. time.  No, 32-square and I can only handle one, so we work in shifts.

The easy-peasy part.

Let me lay it all on the table now: not only do I struggle with control issues, but I have serious personal space issues, too.  Marriage and family are hard enough, with all the hugging and kissing and tying of shoes, that all I ask is you "Stay out my kitchen unless it's your turn."  Um'kay?


Anyway, now that you know how to pray for me, c'mon in and I'll share my oven's bounty with you.  Here's what's on the week's menu:

Doesn't hurt to have little lovelies helping, does it?
Well, doesn't hurt much.

1.  Easy-Peasy Granola Bars, 2-dozen for breakfasts and snacks

3-cups oats
1  14-oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
2-Tablespoons melted butter
1-cup raw shredded coconut
1-cup raw sliced almonds
1/2-cup raw oat bran
1/2-cup flax seed
1-cup chocolate chips, mini or reg.

~Mix all ingredients together and press into a greased 9x13-inch pan.  Bake at 350* for 25 minutes, or until golden.

Granola Bars: Check!

Next!  Love my li'l lovelies I do.

2.  Banana Nut Wheat Bran Muffins, 2-dozen for breakfasts and snacks

1/2-cup butter, melted
1-cup brown sugar
5-6 bananas, mashed
1/2-cup milk
2-teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
3-cups whole wheat flour
1-cup raw wheat bran
1/2-cup flax seed
2-teaspoons baking powder
2-teaspoons baking soda
1-teaspoon cinnamon
1/2-teaspoon salt
1-cup toasted & chopped walnuts

~Mix together sugar, bananas, milk, vanilla and eggs.  Stir in flour, bran, flax, baking powder and soda, and salt.  Add melted butter and blend until moistened.  Stir in walnuts.  Pour batter into greased muffin cups, and bake at 375* for 25-minutes.  Cool five minutes and then remove.

Baking Tip: Always toast your nuts before adding to batter.  
Makes for a richer and more flavorful anything.

The house is smelling quite divine about now.

Dunzo!  Next!

3.  Whole Wheat & Germ Chocolate Chip Cookies & Dough, one dozen baked today & the rest for a week of Mother-Love fresh from the oven

1-cup unsalted butter, room temp
1-cup brown sugar
1-cup sugar
2 eggs
1-Tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2- cups rolled oats
2-cups whole wheat flour
1/2-cup wheat germ
1-teaspoon baking powder
1/2-teaspoon baking soda
1/2-teaspoon salt
1-cup chocolate chips
1-cup toasted & chopped pecans

~Process oats in food processor until ground to a flour.  Whisk together oat flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder and soda.  In another bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light & fluffy ((about three minutes)).  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Slowly incorporate dry ingredients.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.  Roll into tablespoon-sized balls and place on lined or ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375* for 12-15 minutes.  Cool 2-minutes before removing from baking sheet.  Makes four dozen.

Getting toasty.


Sassafras, pretending to concentrate.


Much more believable and true to her nature!  
Sassafras begged to eat some raw cookie dough,
but her conscientious momma said, "No way, Josefina!"

Ahhhhhhh.  
Time for a break with a few of my friends
 and a short glass of cold milk.  Why do we always say tall?!

I also baked up two loaves of bread dough in the bread machine, which I placed in the freezer until we want them.  But, that's no fun to post, so get your own recipe.

So--you knew it was coming--how do you prep for the week?  Do you carve out some special time for your children and butter?  Are you ever tempted to lick the spoon even after you tell the kids no?

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm coming over!! Thanks for the recipes!! I've been looking for a good muffin recipe and the granola bars...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to let them lick the spoon. Live a little...and forget about dying from salmonella. I've heard it's all in the shells anyway. I freely hand out the beaters, and one always goes for the bowl. Um, Jacob if you didn't already guess.

    I must, I really must try those granola bars. I saw that sweetened condensed milk can and knew it was true love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to start the week with all that ready to eat! It must save you so much time. Now what stops you eating it all on Monday?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisy--so easy, so good.

    Tash--def don't beat your five-step bars, but very easy, which is what I need right now in my winter slump.

    Philippa--the freezer! I divide 'em up and freeze. Unless I want broken teeth I have to wait for a thaw, by which time I *might* change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the granola bars and they were wonderful! I think this recipe will be laminated for kitchen use along with all my favourites. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love these granola bars, too. So much so that my kids call them brownies, and they never make it past Wednesday.

    Glad they were a hit in your home, too. :D

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.