Monday, February 23, 2009

Menu Plan: A Week of Slow Cookin'

We modern housewives have it too good!  I mean, there are just too many options, too many choices.  My childhood was a smattering of family favorites, which you could count on two hands and expect with precision clockwork: Steak on Fridays, fresh tortillas on Saturdays, a whole family gathering on Sundays with a beef roast, and then the weekly staples.  My grandmother had no more than a dozen meals under her command and would today be either shocked or overwhelmingly delighted right back into her grave if she could see how I cook: like the proud and haughty belles who grace red carpets, I rarely make something twice, unless we all just love it.  Then, we might see it once each month, at best.

You are to blame.

Yes, you.

Y'all here in my virtual neighborhood make some of the most mouth-watering dishes each week that me cannot help me-self but to try, try, and try!

This week, I thought I'd have a wee bit more fun than usual, while testing my mental capabilities in the small hours of early morning, like, say, nine o'clock.  Yes, this week I will be the Slow Cookin' Queen of menu planning.

Breakfasts (w/fresh fruits & in no order: kiddos pick from list or starve)
Banana-Nut Bran Muffins (x2)
Easy-Peasy Granola Bars (x2)
...Plus, 
Overnight Soaked Oats (x2)
Fruit & Yogurt Smoothies & Fresh Toast

Lunches (w/fresh fruits & veggies)
Almond Butter & Strawberries on the-other-Laura's Whole Wheat Buns (x2) 
Veggie Egg Drop Soup
Chicken-Vegetable Udon Soup
Mini Cheese Pizzas
Tomato Soup & Cheese Toast

Now, for the Slow Cookin' Dinners:
Monday ~ Cowboy Baked Beans and Sausage; Salad & WW Cornbread  ((I'm going to modify an oven-baked bean recipe and throw in some turkey sausages.  If it turns out fab, I'll post the recipe next week.))
Tuesday ~ Sausage & Egg Casserole, Spinach Salad
Wednesday ~ Turkey Joes on The-Other-Laura's WW Buns, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, Cold Veggies
Thursday ~ Chicken & Stuffing, Green Beans & Cranberry Salad
Friday ~ Asian Short Ribs w/Carrots & Cabbage over Brown Rice, Steamed Broccoli
Saturday ~ Spaghetti Sauce with Meatballs, over WW Pasta; Roasted Asparagus
KISS Sabbath ~ Ahhhh...Homemade Pizza.

Hope y'all have an inspiring week!  Hop on over to The Organizing Junkie for enough inspiration for two lifetimes!

3 comments:

  1. How do you manage it? I can't get my meal plan done for Tuesday when we ran out of food on Monday!! I must try harder. This looks delicious though. I think we might just jump on a plane.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are to blame...ahem. One day, whilst reading your blog, my husband looked over my shoulder and at YOUR menu! I literally had to wipe the slobber off me.

    I adore cooking and used to own a restaurant b4 husband and kids. With school and the home business, I had to cook cutting time drastically and now focus on simple but healthy meals, ie grilled fish, grecian fries and a steamed veggie. The slow cooker comes into play on Thursdays and the left-overs quickly (or slowly in this case) become a hearty soup for a no fuss weekend.

    You have inspired me to make our own granola bars. Shame on me for not doing it before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! And, I just posted slow cooking on my blog last week! Thanks for sharing your menu. I look forward to more fun!

    Visit my blogs:
    www.400things.blogspot.com
    www.prairiesense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.