Thursday, February 19, 2009

Frugal Friday: Begging to Be Choosey


Living on one income in infamously expensive California, I appreciate frugality.  I mean, I really appreciate it.  But, after a week or so of perusing and subscribing to the most popular blogs bent toward being penny-wise-and-tight, I walked away confused and discouraged.  Most of the peeps I once followed were surely spending less than I to feed their families, but what they were feeding them really bothered me, a life-long lover of whole foods.  Sure, you could spend less, sometimes very much less, if you follow the empty foods coupon-and-rebate train, but what stewardship is there when our bodies, and the bodies of our husband and children who depend upon us to feed them well, are suffering from poor nutrition, at best?

But then--heaven be blessed!--I stumbled upon Laura.  Not me, silly goose, but another.  Perhaps it's in the name, but I cannot help but feel all warm and fuzzy when I read her blog called, of all things!, Heavenly Homemakers.  Indeed she is more than a whole-foodie, she is a lovely Christian woman who is an all-around encouragement to someone like me, who is laboring for God's glory to give what is best each day and in every way, while enjoying the challenge of providing for my family from a 32-square-foot kitchen in suburban California.

This morning, we made her Simple Sourdough Pancakes:



Soaking the flour overnight in buttermilk to release all of those brilliant nutrients.


Eggs, butter, baking powder and salt...


Added a wee bit of milk to make a nice batter.


Can you hear the sizzle?!


Oh yum!!  A first encounter with sourdough pancakes for us all.  Usually, I make Bette's Buttermilk Pancakes, which are to. die. for., even after substituting whole wheat for white flour.  But these were good, and the overnight soak made me feel like a super-foodie-heroine.  Although it took a great deal of restraint not to change the recipe ((wretched and perpetual modifier that I am)), next time I will tinker with it a bit, and make it my own.

Good grief! I'm such a Laura.

Find more Frugal Friday ideas galore here.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for throwing a blog our way!! I'm a dedicated whole foodie gal, too. I'm going to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura...I so admire how organized and determined you are to find the best solutions for your family. I take the EASY way out so many times, so I'm so encouraged when I read your posts and how you go that extra mile for your family!!! You rock, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Laura's site too! She has the best recipes and advice. I too like that she isn't feeding her family junk! I'm going to have to check out your pancake link too, I need a new recipe.
    Toni
    http://thehappyhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great blog is tammysrecipes.com. She makes everything from scratch - and I mean everything including toothpaste! And she uses whole grains, natural ingredients, and lots of fruits and veggies. Check it out if you are not familiar with her blog. I am a big fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look wonderful! Being cheeky here but do you know how to make buttermilk? We are a bit of a way from the shops here. Can I replace with sourdough starter do you think? Oh I might just try it tomorrow and see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.