Thursday, April 28, 2011

Curiosity Meets the Dung Beetle {Review}

Every now and again, my kids and I like to explore the world of home education off the well-worn path, so to speak.  Well, you cannot get more off that path than with a unit study of the DUNG BEETLE---am I right?!

A newly released product of The Old Schoolhouse, this Curiosity Files™ e-Book is a grab-and-go unit study written for ages 8-13 that includes engaging text with basic scientific information about the Dung Beetle, plus explorations in math and history and crafts and more!  Having four children between the ages of six and thirteen, with whom the study of all things creepy and crawly comes naturally, this inexpensive guide for studying the odd and yet beneficial Dung Beetle promised loads of facts & fun and delivered in spades!

Of course, my favorite parts of the entire study were the respective Hans Christian Anderson and Aesop fables which, with the Dung Beetle as leading "man," challenged my children to ponder the qualities of good character, while their ears gladly tuned into great literature.

Is my Charlotte Mason slip showing just a wee?

Also included are written narration pages with room to illustrate and copy-work using applicable Bible verses---printable pages for every and all ages!  (Ahem, forgive me)  Although the copy-work is only offered in block-print and standard cursive---not Italic---I was able to keep the study flowing by swiftly creating my own copy-work pages using the free New Zealand font (click to download) I shared with y'all weeks ago.  And for more good, clean fun, there are science and math explorations, plus find-a-word and crossword puzzle activities, vocabulary sheets, and a couple of quizzes too!

Altogether we spent twenty minutes each day for two weeks with the Dung Beetle, completing one section at a time and capping every week with a portion of the final test---completed orally---plus one of the hands-on activities.  Easy-peasy is how I like it!   So, yeah.  I liked it.

And you know what else I liked---even loved?!  Although the unit study was written for ages 8-13, my six year-old was easily able to tag along; he learned tons, recited with the best of them, and ran outside every day with hopes of finding and introducing himself to Mister Dung Beetle.  That's his illustrated narration to the left (please note the egg inside the Dung Beetle's Brooder Ball because it would break his bitty-heart if you missed it).

Wait!  Did I mention it was cheap?!

This fab product retails for $6.95 at The Old Schoolhouse Store, but I just noticed that today's price is only ONE BUCK!  Say whaaaaaa??

So, if your kids dig as much as mine do a touch of something new to mix things up a bitty in school, grab-and-go! go! go! with the Dung Beetle or one of the eight other topics of study for the curious---such as the Blue-footed Booby, Zombie Fire Ants, and Quicksand.  You can pick them up individually or in a big, fat bundle of nine with a money-saving price-tag of $46 to boot!

Now, without delay, here's what two of my four children thought of this Curiosity Files™ e-Book, a unit study of the magnificently odd Dung Beetle (and tune in tomorrow at Facebook for a special screening of the Blooper Reel.  Yeah, believe it or not, this is NOT the Blooper Reel...).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.