Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Homeschool Mother's Journal, Week 4

In My Life This Week:
I spent some fantastic time with my kids one-on-one and collectively, while hiking through the coastal redwood forests in California.  I also had an epiphany of sorts, helping me to form short- and long-term plans for the future of my wee family--Lord willing, right?!

 In Our Home School This Week:
We waded into creeks, kissed Banana slugs, stamped fern spores onto our dark jackets, played with creatures in tide pools, made new friends, connected deeper with older ones, cried bits, laughed tons, and marveled at the beauty all around us.

Places We're Going and People We're Seeing:
Oh, the places we went!  This week-long outdoor science camp is indeed our "happy place."  We've been there a handful of times now, and we're always totally and completely bummed when we leave.  Although I had to sneak work into our schedule, I was still able to hike with one child each day and embarrass the others with big hugs and [fake] teary goodbyes from Mommy.  It was sooo awesome!

 Since we all desire to continue this retreat from life's everyday busyness just a touch longer, we'll be easing back into lessons and cutting some things entirely.  We've big plans for more and regular hiking, while praying for those sweet souls that this week brushed against ours and left a tender impression.  We cannot wait to see them again!

My Favorite Moment This Week Was:
Must I choose?!

There were hand-holdings, snuggles, a loving tackle when my Fiona refused a goodbye kiss, a son's first independent hike, another's extreme hike (even if Mom had to eventually carry his pack), four children reaching the top of the rock wall and ringing its victory bell, a life's testimony shared via a visual tree-ring that brought me to tears, a teen daughter who begged me to hike with her, an eight-year old daughter who begged me to stay far away and disguise myself too, seeing a shy son bloom, witnessing a kind son befriend those outcast, talking through the source of self-worth and seeing its fruit ... and so much more!

What's Working/Not Working for Us:
This week, a simpler and more organic lifestyle was surely working for us; it's where we thrive.  I came home last night determined to cut the chaff so that more of these moments can occur naturally.  More than ever, I'm convinced to combine!

Homeschool Questions/Thoughts I Have:
My kids are pretty fabulous.  Sorry, but that's all I'm thinking right now.

A Photo, Video or Quote:

"I never get tired of being with you, Mom."

"All my life I've been afraid to have anyone look at me, but my leader is smart and cool and he's not afraid of being himself.  I don't think he's afraid of anything!"

"You're sooo embarrassing me, Mom."

"Can we stay another week?!"

"Can we live here forever?!"

"I'm tired of pretense!  Let's just say it how it is and be who we were made to be!"

"Thank you, Mom, for bringing us here; you're the BEST!"

"I love you tons and tons and always."

"I'm done crying now, but I still miss everything."

Yeah, me too ... the missing it part.  I'm not yet done with all the crying.




The Homeschool Mother's Journal

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! Love your photos. The thought of being able to go on such hikes sounds wonderful! Nature is such a beautiful thing. The peacefulness offers great moments that your children with remember. Visiting from THMJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos, and it sounds like you had a great week. Getting kids out in nature is so important. We're looking forward to temps in the 60's this week, on the heels of snow last week. I think we'll take a nature hike ourselves at least once this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing style is truly one-of-a-kind! Killing me softly with:

    "Homeschool Questions/Thoughts I Have:
    My kids are pretty fabulous. Sorry, but that's all I'm thinking right now."

    Your "combine" link is broken - please fix so all of us combiners can get a lookie-see. Yeah, just add it to the bottom of your To Do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richele, I fixed the link, but it's nothing special, just to a post in which I declared my desire and NEED to simplify. Spinning all of the AO Years at once has become tedious for single me. It's sucking the joy out of our home, and that's a big CM no-no! Like I said over yonder at your blog, I'm leaning towards SCM with AO supplementation, much like you're doing. I'm just not sure where to start. :/

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.