Saturday, February 5, 2011

Homeschooling Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal 
Wanting to connect with y'all on a regular basis, I decided to join this meme.  Although I am so much more than just a homeschool mom, I love the idea of sharing a few snapshots of my mind as it spins out of control to the end of the week.  Who knows if I'll stick with it for an entire year, but hey.

In My Life This Week:
I've been the organizational every-ready bunny, fer'sher.  We've had lessons and I've had work (I write, y'know).  We've also had dinner with friends, conflict between growing young ones to navigate, ballet lessons, a recent dance production to tear down and relocate, errands to run, every load of laundry to wash, baseball items to locate and sort and buy anew, emails to answer, phone calls from hurting friends, a writing co-op to attend, friends to encourage, counsel to receive, packing for five as five days away approaches, baseball, blessings, baseball, cat food, and tennis.  We snack and sleep in shifts and spurts.  Kidding.  With solid planning skills honed over several years of spreadsheet love, I made it alive to tonight, although a few pounds lighter and several gray hairs richer.  We'll see what tomorrow holds...

In Our Home School This Week
I'm still wrestling with how to streamline or combine my three younger students--I've decided not to mess with Olivia, who's nearly three years older than my eldest boy and quite fit for HEO.  So, to make my life a wee bit easier, I oh-so-graciously asked my brilliant son what he'd like to do for science this year, hoping he'd beg to tag along with his most beloved younger sibs: "I want to do some real experiments, Mom; you know, like building a rocket or something."  Yeah, thanks for making my life so much easier, David.  You're the best.

Otherwise, this week we practiced & applied the four operations and read tons: Hawthorne's A Wonder Book for Boys and Girls with breakfast; Macdonald's The Princess and the Goblin over lunch; and Lasky's The Guardians of Ga'hoole series while digesting our dinners.  They also each grabbed a book from the library to read on their own: The Children of Odin for Olivia; a biography of the Brothers Grimm for David; Bambi for Fiona, who's reading it aloud to Ian; and Rob Roy for me.  A girl can never spin so many plates she has not time to read, y'know.

Places We're Going and People We're Seeing
We're so stoked to be heading out to a science camp near Santa Cruz, California, for five days with a family of kindred-spirited friends.  It's one of our favorite places on earth, and we're all looking forward to disconnecting from phones and computers and the daily busyness of life and reconnecting with each other and the physical, living world around us, plus a hike or three.

My Favorite Thing This Week Was...
Seeing my youngest son turn to me after hitting a series of pitches during his very first baseball practice and deciphering through his gigantic smile the mouthed words, "I.  L O V E.  B A S E B A L L." 

I. love. that. boy.

What's Working/Not Working for Us
Chore accountability.  It was a problem, and this week I solved it.  More later...

Homeschool Thoughts or Questions I Have
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Simply Charlotte Mason would meet by chance [Mister] Truthquest History, fall madly in love and mate?  Or, is that just me..?

A Photo, Link, Quote or Video to Share


Someone turned thirteen last month.
 

5 comments:

  1. "Wouldn't it be wonderful if Simply Charlotte Mason would meet by chance [Mister] Truthquest History, fall madly in love and mate? Or, is that just me..?"

    Loved this...you naughty girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a baseball lovin' son too...he discovered it last year and he can't wait for baseball season to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia's face is changing... just as beautiful as ever but def changing..has the older look in that photo. Looking forward to seeing you all this summmer. Write these dates down.. July 22 and July 30! Love you all..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have been reading some wonderful books lately! Do share on the chore accountability, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 8yr old around here has discovered rockets...making and launching...and researching and reading...his dad walks around calling him Rocket Man!

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.