Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Wordy Wordless Wednesday: On the Golden Gate

The kids and I happily found ourselves to be the airport shuttle ((to and fro)) for my in-laws, who visited from North Carolina over Easter break.  Although we've now lived very near to San Francisco for over six months, I confess we've yet to venture into the city for any reason whatsoever.  So, imagine the kids' and my surprise when Google Maps ordered us to go over the Golden Gate Bridge for the very first time in our respective lives just to reach the silly airport!!  The very best thing about it was Olivia had just studied San Francisco and its marvel of a bridge called Golden Gate with Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of driving ((or walking, or running, or crying)) over bridges, and I became quite excited when I realized we were all about to enjoy the experience together:  

"Woot!!  Woot!!" hooted Momma.

"What is wrong with you, Momma?" inquired David.

"I gotta hoot or I'm gonna cry, Babe," explained Momma.

"I hope this is a short bridge," declared David.

"Oh, David, this bridge is not even a mile long; and it's a suspension bridge, which means that it literally hangs over the water from simple cables that are about three feet thick--that's as tall (or short) as Ian!!  [Enter girly giggling here.]  Can you believe we're almost three hundred feet above the waters below--right now?!" Olivia bellowed.

"I don't feel very good," David murmured.

"Woot!!  Woot!!"

Thankfully, by the fourth time over this true beauty and marvel of a bridge, I no longer found the need to hoot, David felt much less queazy, and we all learned a lot more about the history of the bridge from Olivia.  Gotta love home school and in-laws---they stretch you in ways you never knew you could.

Do you have any ridic fears that just won't go away no matter how much sense you may try to talk?  How do you cope when forcibly faced with them?  At what age do homeschooling kids decidedly know more than their parents?

You'd be an April's Fool to miss my Birthday Giveaway #3, beautiful baubles from Stella Jade Designs!

5 comments:

  1. driving over bridges scare me too but they are really beautiful. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot, woot! I love bridges too!

    Happy WW! And Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think homeschool kids begin to know more in 6th grade. Or at least that's when mine did (and do)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like mine were born knowing more than I do - I've been around many more corners than they have though, that's where I have the wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.