Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nature Study, Naturally

My son, David, was a maniac with the butterfly net yesterday and this was his fab reward.  

In recent months, we have had several moths in our home that went on to glory from the extensive observation and pet-making processes that my creation-loving kids put them through, but this was a special case, and the kids seemed to instinctively know it.

This lovely butterfly, an American Painted Lady, common to California, was treated as a lady should be: with respectful tenderness.  And, although that much loved and used butterfly net was part and parcel of a whole Entomology kit I purchased last year, the kids cannot yet bring themselves to pin and label one single mini-thing.  Somehow, although I shelled out a pretty penny for said kit, I respect that.

And, here's a li'l video for you ((but don't bug about the dirt---we live on the side of a hill, remember?!))


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful.

    We thought it was cute to hear your accents, too!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.