Monday, March 9, 2009

Curricula Planning for the OCD at Heart

After weeks of posting about our collective studies, I'm now ready to start a series of posts regarding individual studies.  So, here's what Year 6, for my lovely Newshound 'bout Town, will look like in our home-school because I'm OCD....yeah, you know me...and have all things planned, purchased ((if absolutely necessary)), tagged, scheduled and shelved already.  

Please don't think I'm bragging: No, this is my cry silent scream for help.  I wish I could go with the flow, or "Call the canoe when I get to the river," as my polar opposite li'l brother likes to say ((a bit too often, in my opinion, but hey, that's just me, his older and wiser sister talking)), but I just CAN NOT.  I gotta know, y'know?

Year 6: Ancient Civilizations
((links are to Free Domain books found online, and, for laughs, Literature selections are jumbled in with History))

History, Term One: Ancient Israel & Egypt
Story of the Ancient World, by H.A. Guerber and Christine Miller
Genesis, Finding Our Roots, by Ruth Beechick
Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, by Elizabeth Payne
Lit/Tales from Ancient Egypt, by Roger Lancelyn Green

Supplemental Reading ((most found in our county's library system)):
Gilgamesh, the King, by Ludmilla Zeman
Pyramid, by David Macaulay
Mara, Daughter of the Nile, by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
The Golden Goblet, by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
Hittite Warrior, by Joanne Williamson
God King, by Joanne Williamson
Warrior Scarlet, by Rosemary Sutcliff

History, Term Two: Ancient Greece
The British Museum for Young People, by Frances Epps

Supplemental Reading

History, Term Three: Ancient Rome
Our Young Folks' Plutarch, by Rosalie Kaufman

Supplemental Reading
The Bronze Bow, by Elizabeth Speare
Greatest Story Ever Told, by Fulton Oursler
Greatest Faith Ever Known, by Fulton Oursler
Ides of April, by Mary Ray
Beyond the Desert Gate, by Mary Ray
Song for a Dark Queen, by Rosemary Sutcliff
Eagle of the Ninth, by Rosemary Sutcliff
Hypatia, by Charles Kingsley ((Literature))

Geography
A Child's Geography: Explore the Holy Land, by Ann Voskamp
The Complete Book of Marvels, by Richard Halliburton ((selections))

Natural History
A Child's Geography: Explore His Earth, by Ann Voskamp

Science
Apologia Elementary Science, Zoology I: Flying Creatures
Biology Experiments for Children, by Ethel Hanauer ((Microscope work))

Biographies of Scientists
Galileo and the Magic Numbers, by Sidney Rosen
Leonardo da Vinci, by Jay Williams
Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity, by R. Cwiklik

Foreign Languages
Continue Spanish
Begin Latin

Poetry
Emily Dickinson
William Wordsworth
Rudyard Kipling
Robert Frost
Carl Sandburg

Art
Artistic Pursuits, Book One, Grades 4-6

Mathematics
Systematic Mathematics

Grammar & Composition

By the time August rolls around, I shall be content with and post my weekly schedule of lessons for Year 6, so that you can get a look-see and breathe a sigh of relief for my dear babe that it really isn't as much as it may seem.  Really!  I promise.  The Supplemental Reading is just that: supplemental.  If she never even touches a page, I will be okay with it...I think...I mean, the world will not end, right?!

I'm gonna go and call that canoe now.

10 comments:

  1. We have created our ancients lessons also and we have an almost identical line up. Great OCD minds think alike maybe? LOL! Thank the Lord for Yesterday's Classics and Balwin Project! Looks like you are ready for a great history study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Kysha!! I am ever so thankful for the Baldwin Project. I do buy many of their books 'cause I like to cuddle up to read, and you cannot really accomplish that with a cold, hard computer screen, right?!

    And yes, I keep buggin' my daughter with, "We are gonna have sooo much fun next year!"

    I LOVE homeschool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks brilliant! We are just coming to the end of the Holy Land so let us know how you get on. We were at the British Museum last week looking at all the ancient exhibits. It was huge fun but very tiring!!
    I wish I could be this organised. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT lineup. We are doing much of the same also! I love seeing others OCD planning..lol...makes me feel much more normal...lately not much planning for school has happened though so you have helped me to want to get on the ball!

    OH BTW, I left something for you on my natural blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my!!!! You are definitely one organized mama!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philippa~Just one more reason for me to move to England! I don't know if it was all the great Lit when I was a kid or your fancy accent that wooed me, but someday.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful! I am so glad the Dancing Bookworm is ahead of Jemimah!

    I love it that you're as OCD as I am...

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I will see if I can get some pictures up on the WWW for you to show your kids. My kids had the camera so some of them are a bit blurry!!!
    I have a grand plan though! We're about ready to bail out to the US ( dreaming!) so we can swap. You have our rain and we get your sun, sun, sun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I hear, constant rain and gloom are aphrodisiacs for the melancholy writer! Now, if only I didn't have to smile at the kids from time to time... :D

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.