Thursday, January 15, 2009

Oh, Charlotte! The Kids are Baking!

In our home school, we follow a Charlotte Mason approach.  

"What has this to do with anything and especially me?" you might ask, if you are really brave, and since blogging is quite anonymous, you have the unique ability to be such.  So, I'm gonna answer, "Nothing, probably," and get on with it.

For us, this means we don't bother with silly crafty-things that create a fire hazard after a certain amount of time--not sure how much time, but time nonetheless.  Artistic expressions which involve glue, sequins and elbow noodles are things which the kids will make for themselves and me, sometimes, but I don't give lessons on any of these.  They are free to have-at-it and whenever.  

But, there are very many skills which CM (we're close like that) recommended that children should acquire before they leave off formal instruction, and these skills require patient and pointed and patient instruction.  She called them handicrafts, and we schedule them weekly for twelve, adding needed household skills.  For example, this term we are baking, knitting, and making cards.  

Obviously, in these accomplishments, I cannot just let them have-at-it or there would be loss of life or limb indeed.  I suppose they might live through card-making without much difficulty, but we want to take it that level--that one up there.  Yes, the whole 'nother one.  Philosophically, I want my children to leave my home ((did I say that??)) with accomplishments that will bless not only their own lives but others' lives, too, and especially.

All of that to say, "I found this book at Borders for $6!!!!"

It is filled with the easiest recipes one could find contained between the nearly 300 pages of a book.  Topics include: 

1.  Pies & Tarts
2. Cakes & Frostings 
3. Cookies, Bars & Brownies 
4. Desserts & Candies 
5. Yeast Breads & Quick Breads

Although not particularly great for my waistline, the kids will improve their skills each week and exercise Christian love (for their momma and others) by giving away half of all they make, if possible.  And, I'll be posting the rumble and the rabble of their labors--fun, right?!  We all hope you are blessed by our antics and bake a lil' something for yourself or someone else.  This week they made...(imagine a drum-roll)...

Sweet Potato Biscuits
1-cup mashed sweet potato
1-T butter, at room temp
1-T sugar
1/2-t baking soda
1-cup buttermilk
2-cups flour
1-t salt

Preheat oven to 400.  Beat sweet potatoes, butter and sugar in bowl until well blended.  In separate bowl, dissolve soda in buttermilk and then add to potato mixture.  Sift together flour and salt and add to potato mixture.  Roll out to 1/2-inch thick on lightly floured surface.  Cut with small cookie cutter and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or grease your sheet).  Bake 15- to 20-minutes or until golden brown.  Makes 24.

Sweet potatoes are mashed and the kids are ready to get down to business!  

Sifting the flour and salt with meticulous consideration...

Dolling out the buttermilk with an eye on the prize...

Now everyone wants to lend a hand!

My boys are peeping in...

Ta-da!  ((Great job, babies!!))

**Momma's Note: the dough for these biscuits was rather wet and difficult to work.  My kids added more flour, which I don't recommend, as they turned out slightly heavier than a brick, if you know what I mean.  Instead, when we make them again, and if you ever make them, I suggest either reducing the buttermilk by half (to begin) or treating them as drop-biscuits.  

Not an encouraging start to the term's baking, but the kids are ready to try again.  Funny thing, the density of these sweet potato pucks didn't keep them from eating every single leftover one for breakfast the next morn.  My kids are so very forgiving and as easily encouraged that my heart swells for them as I write.  I'm gonna go hug 'em while I can.  You do the same to yours.  See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Yum...those look good!!!!

    By the way, I have something for you at my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking with the kids is so much fun! I love all those things that we are able to do together.
    Try chilling the dough, or using a coarse flour like stone ground whole wheat. Sometimes that helps the sticky dough...

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.