Monday, December 15, 2008

Fitness Friday: A Matter of the Throne

So, my Fitness Friday is more like an early morning Monday.  I'm okay with this, and I hope you are, too.  This open-ended spiritual bend was more challenging to me than the more practical and pointed assignments.  I can tell you how I cut the fat from faves, how I get more exercise in my day, and such, but sharing the spiritual side of my battle with my fat cuts to the core.  

Overeating is idolatry.  It is a worship of creation in lieu of the Creator.  My [over]weight is only an outward sign of the idolatrous sin within, and it pains me deeply to see my wretched sin in the light.  

My prayer is that my heart would long only to be filled with the Spirit instead of to be made often drunk with all the butter and eggs and sugar this world has to offer--I do love me some sweets, y'all.  But, I want to yield all of my self--mind, body and spirit--to Him.  I desire to take my thoughts captive, to feed my brain cells with goodly and godly books, and to think on His righteousness and holiness.  I desire to present my body, a temple of the only living God, as a right and ready sacrifice, unstained by the world and fit for every good work.  And, I desire to yield my spirit to His and live within His will for my life.  

But, it's when I look in the mirror that I see how especially far I have to go.  I love my Lord, but I am not fit to go wherever He may will to send me, even if His will is my very own home and my ministry my very own children and husband ((and I am convinced it is)).  I am not fit for it when my own lack of faith and self-government is worn upon my sleeve, slack, and belt.  I do have so very far to go.  But, I am right where I need to be: on my face before His throne.  I am weak in everything.  I measure up in nothing.  I need a Savior ((and that cake is no savior no matter how you might dress it up)).  I need only Jesus.

Something I tried this week: giving thanks to Him before putting anything in my mouth.  Yep, not just dinners and such but even the petit fours that came by mail.  "Thank you, Lord, for this chocolate covered and fruit-filled teeny-tiny cake.  May I eat it to your glory alone."  

Funny thing, I only needed one, and that's never happened before. 

I suppose it's harder for me to be a glutton when worshipping the rightful king.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Laura lee. I can SO totally relate to it...unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post! Thanks for sharing with us. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.