Thursday, May 26, 2011

Redeeming the Time, a Confession

Sokka, kayaking in Bodega Bay with his beloved uncle
Lately I've been struggling with my home and school--they are one for me.  I've been struggling to find my way back to the atmosphere of "learning through living" that I once sought and felt rather close to having . . . for a time.

Some of you may remember that last summer I started writing for pay, not merely for fun.  I was super-thrilled to add something to my little nest, but it did shake things up around here.  We all had to pull together as a team, kicking up the responsibility level more than a notch, but we were happy to do it if it meant we ate real meat more often, and wore new shoes too.  But just when we got into a groove, I received an offer to write for a company I've supported since the start of my homeschool journey with the fab four.  Never could I imagine turning down this offer--and I didn't!

Shake it up, shake it up...baby, shake it up!

Katara's ballet theatre group opened the Farmers' Market.
But I lost something in the mix.  I lost my quiet and relaxed style of home and school.

Now I live and give lessons by the clock.  Our nature-study and walks are scheduled, there's no time for, "Just one more chapter!"  And my new watch never leaves my wrist (I haven't worn a watch since my time with the Marine Corps; we'll be polite and not ask how long).

Don't get me wrong: I love eating meat.  I'm a total carnivore--nom nom nom.  And who doesn't dig new kicks??  Plus I love how proud the kids are of their mum who now writes for a cutting-edge company, providing quality products and services for home-schoolers and more.  Am I allowed to admit I'm pretty dang proud of me too?

I guess I'm just trying to find a sanctuary within all the busyness . . . a Sabbath?

How easy was that?!  

Birthday party tattoos galore--yes, the parents now love me.
God provided it for me long before I knew I needed it.  A day of rest, of quiet reflection, of community, of family.

I confess, I've been working on the Sabbath--answering emails and calls, just because someone writes or phones.  I've had no self-control in this area and it shows.  My kids are crying out for, "More time!"  Even when they don't say it, their actions scream it.  Like last night: I had two boys in my bed, smothering me with the needs of their wee hearts.  And as I lay there unable to move, hardly sleeping and mostly sweating, I heard over and over again, "Please, more time!"

And this is what I too beg and yet have already received--what a do-do, loser bird I can be!  Now I pray He'll through me redeem it . . . for their sakes and for His glory!

So don't write or call on Sunday, peeps and 'puter.  We're shutting you and all of life out, creating our own sanctuary--no mail, no phone, no computer, no work, no films, no Wii--but maybe a hike in the hills and a picnic for five with just one more chapter from a favorite ol'book.

Will we even know how to act?!  I'll let'cha know . . . but not 'til Monday.


How do you carve out a sanctuary in the midst of life's demands?  Do any of you work and homeschool too?

1 comment:

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.