Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sample A FREE Geography Unit Study, If You're into Stuff Like That

Yesterday, I got this sample in my inbox and my curiosity was piqued--that's the whole point, right?  It's Knowledge Quest's newly released Around the World: Learning about Our Globe One Country at a Time.  No doubt about it, kids dig cultures foreign to them, and my kids prob more than others for some strange yet delightful reason or another, so I opened the file to take a gander, because while my kids dig world cultures, I dig maps and map exercises.  A match made in heaven [on Earth], right?



Well...

I've seen this type of unit study before in Galloping the Globe, published by Geo Matters, and I have to admit it's like buying a knock-off of a premium article.  Yes, Knowledge Quest produces fantastic outline maps, and these are the very highlight of the viewed sample, but every other aspect rings hollow in comparison: the text is conversational in tone but not alive, the booklists are short and uninspired with literature entirely ignored, and there's something just not binding this together for me at all.  For example, the craft of a felt kiwi and a booklist that caters to young children just doesn't mesh with the extensive information about the state of homeschooling in New Zealand, although it's interesting in itself.


Add to this Around the World's temporary introductory price of $9.99 for an e-book of NINE random countries (read: a mere nine weeks of lessons) versus $29.99 for Galloping's TWENTY-EIGHT geographically grouped topics (read: up to two years worth of lessons), plus a special focus on Christmas Around the World and a decided Christian leading, and--for me--there's nothing at all to further compare.
So, is there anyone who might find value in using this new resource for home schools?

Yes, of course there is.  These smarty-pants companies conduct tons of research to determine if there's a market before tossing their wares into a nearly overflowing pool of homeschool products.

So, if you're new to homeschooling and/or have very young children, or if you don't want to commit two years of your primary grades' studies to world history and geography, having something like Around the World in your hands just might be the solution for you.  It will hold your hand through book selection and mapping exercises; it will inform you of the state of homeschooling in each of the countries studied; and it will provide you with some really pretty maps!

But, don't take my word for it.  Check it out and tell me what YOU think!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been very honest in your opinion of these resources. I was only looking at A Childs Geography the other day for next year because I love her blog, so I was surprised. I will have to try for a closer look myself. But I think I'll give the rotten tooth geography a miss though. Your brave! Thankyou Blessings, Renelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renelle,

    I'm really concerned about the explosion of products marketed to home schools. Most of us are down in these trenches because we're convinced we can and should provide a better education for our children than what's being offered elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I <3 Knowledge Quest's blackline maps (I own one of their original hardcopy books and recently took the plunge for the entire new series called MapTrek, which I plan to write more about in the near future), but it's important to me not to get caught up in a brand name, assuming that because KQ is selling it, it's something I must need.

    In other words, the days when resources were very few are gone and we must now demand quality over quantity. In the end, I hope I'm helping them to make a better product and then we all win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure where my comment went...maybe two will show up.

    Your blog is appropriately named. Brava!

    I'm pretty sure Charlotte would even use a stronger word than 'twaddle' were the post to deliver some of these things to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richele,

    Booo on missing comments. :/

    I have to agree with you, of course. The days when people had to create their own home school lessons by scrounging for materials were probably better days. Today, there's too much of the mediocre and we're settling for it. There's a fast-food analogy here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your absolutely spot on. We have too many mediocre choices and for me who has just passed the 1st year milestone of homeschooling I am learning this fairly quickly. I have made some mistake purchases, but I am working on being more discerning in future planning. I appreciate your reviews.
    Blessings, Renelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Renelle! And congrats on the milestone!! I look forward to getting to know you better through your own blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your honest review. I was comparing products between these two companies, and you have helped me make a good decision for our limited funds. We need more of such reviews that don't just pat companies on the head for having nice looking curriculum, and honestly talk about the substance, or lack thereof. Grateful!

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.