Friday, April 17, 2009

Back in the Saddlebags Again

Not really.  I'm such a putz, I know.

Actually, I've probably done better over these past several weeks without meeting up with my Futness Friday gal-pals, than before.  I attribute it to less time spent on my secretary-spread, reading all their inspiring posts ((once each week)).

Not really.  Again, I am putz; hear me snicker.

So, to introduce myself:
My momma named me Laura little less than forty years ago.  I was an athlete in high school and, thereafter, a Marine for four years.  I took my health and fitness a wee bit too seriously, delving into anorexia and bulimia most of my control-freak life, but found freedom later in life through Salvation.  After the birth of kiddo number three, I was very overwhelmed and depressed, and binged often without the purge.  Now, seven years and another chittlin' later, I've thirty pounds I'd love to kick to the curb.

WHY?!

1.  'Cause I like to be pretty in my own eyes.  Yes, I am that completely shallow and I'm okay with it, so don't bug.

2.  'Cause I want to model what I preach and teach: We eat as healthfully around here as we can--whole and oft organic foods, bake our own goods, rarely eat out, etc.--but I guess I just eat a wee bit too much of the good stuff. 

3.  'Cause I used to love to run trails and tracks, and I wanna do it again, just for kicks.

4.  'Cause I wanna wear pretty dresses again, like, everyday of my ordinary life.  I love being a woman and I want my daughter's to know it keenly.

So, those are my goals.

Near the turn of the New Year, I found these looney ladies who feel the same way and joined forces for information and encouragement.  The only way I really know how to lose weight is decidedly not very good for me, so I def need some solid info and much of it.  Plus, I like the accountability of meeting up once a week for the down-low, without spending a fortune in money and time at brick-and-mortar meetings.

Within the last month, I've been able to exercise six days each week, alternating and combining cardio with free weights.  Although I lost a few inches and gained a ton of endurance and strength, I didn't lose a single pound.  So, last week I joined Weight Watchers Online, which helps me to understand portion sizes and good choices for my body's need for fuel.  I'm excited to see how this could change my life!!  

I've already been pleasantly surprised that I can eat most of what I love in smaller amounts without feeling deprived nor starving.  I hate to feel like I'm starving, which is what usually happens when I try to go it alone right before I flip out and eat a pile of Chinese take-out.  Each Friday, I'll be posting more about this new journey and its effects.  I'm praying to really stretch myself outside my comfort zone and start posting more pictures, even if I really hate them right now, to create a record of all this trouble I'm putting myself through.  Pray with me?!

Now, jog it over to The Family Revised for more Fitness Friday--double-time!!

Oh, and thanks, Brenda, for the inspiration found here--not that I've ever even thought about eating anything of the sort.  Ewww.

9 comments:

  1. I love number 4! I want that too :) It sounds like you are doing all the right things! Maybe your exercise needs to change up just a little? One thing my trainer told me was to drink 1/2 my body weight in oz of water each day. Until you do this for two weeks and are fully hydrated, your weight isn't right! AND, it's not about the number on the scale, it's about how you look and feel! I can tell we are going to be good pals on this journey. We have all the feelings and tendancies from what I have read :) So glad to meet you and I am looking forward to hearing how your week goes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm so glad you found us!!! Yes, I flip out sometimes too.

    And I did WW online a few years ago and portion size was AMAZING to me!!!! I was way off before!!!!

    Sounds like you are doing great!And I want to wear dresses too. And look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very good at telling it like it is, and I always appreciate those sideways doses of humor!

    Aren't little summer dresses wonderful?? I'm remembering them well ... and would like to make a few new memories too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura

    I remember all those pretty little dresses too. I used to love being feminine and all the stuff that goes with it. I'm doing good if I remember to wear jewelry some days now. By the way, you are beautiful ! I love your profile picture See you at Fitness Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, Laura,you're just a spring chicken.

    I think I can just remember being forty...

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, Laura Lou, your posts are honest, witty, and just plain fun!!

    Looking forward to rejoining you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! (And first, can I say it's really cool you were a Marine? So was my husband!)

    I have often tripped up on the, "Well, I AM exercising so I can eat whatever I want!" Nevermind I never took into account WHAT I was eating, let along portion size! (Seriously though? A half cup of rice/noodles? Who can stop there?)

    Alright, so that wasn't very encouraging, was it? I will try better next time when I check in with you to indulge in your wit and wisdom and see how you are coming along! Blessings to you as we begin again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love reading your posts! Thanks for sharing in such a frank and witty manner.

    I'm interested in seeing how Weight Watchers online works out for you. Something I've been considering as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are joining in. Like your goals too. And I don't think it's shallow to look pretty in your own eyes.

    I know that inner beauty is the more important, and I do try to focus on that, but I always feel a lot better about myself when I like what I see in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.