Friday, February 27, 2009

Fitness Friday: Sum-Sum-Summertime

Ahhhh....summer. Well, maybe summer is rather far away when most still have some snow upon the ground and even spring doesn't yet bring a swell to the breast, but thoughts of summer are never very far from my mind.

Summer is my very most fave season.  I love everything about it, even the sweltering heat we suffer here in dry and oft burning northern California.  And since our move closer to the bay area of San Francisco, I've been itching to get over to the shore for a walk and look-see.

But, what has this to do with my fitness goals?

Everything.

My entire goal for fitness can be wrapped up in one little summer dress.  I once loved wearing cute dresses in summer with a sweet sandal or flip on my brazenly painted toes.  For me, there is nothing better, nothing more feminine, than a breezy summer dress ((or brazenly painted toes)).

And rigorous and consistent exercise is what will make this dress a reality for me again this summer.  Dieting alone never affects my stubborn and previously abused dormant metabolism, which still to this day wonders, "Is she bingeing or starving us this time?"  I mean, who else can quit her daily heavy creamed and sugared coffees ((yes, two full mugs of it)) and not lose an extra ounce after a month of green tea?!

Nobody else, I'm sure.

Just lucky me.

This week was a good week, as far as rigorous and consistent exercise goes.  And, the more I exercised, the more I realized I really needed to exercise!  We've had a bit of a rainy season here, and I've lately found myself much more melancholy than usual, if that's even possible.  But after the very first workout of the week, I was filled with vigor and energy and such a positive attitude.  Nothing could bring me down!  And by the end of the week I was running thirty full minutes with fifteen minutes of warm-up and cool-down walking!

Loving that.

And I'm sure my metabolism doesn't know what's hit it.

Loving that, too.

Next week, I'm going to add in some push-ups and free weights to get my upper body with the program, too.

As for swimsuits, which is part and parcel of summertime, I take my cue from my children who are wiser than the wisest sages most days: my eldest daughter wears a tank suit with board shorts and my boys wear rash guard tops with their swim shorts.  For them, it's a modesty thing that just feels right.  

Although I would never choose a bikini for my daughters, I don't force any of their additional cover-up choices upon them at all, which makes me that much more pleased when they lean toward showing less flesh in public.  

However, my youngest, the brazen Sassafras that she is, loves a bright and loud leopard-print tankini sans board shorts, which just get in the way of her rambunctious summertime fun, and I search high and low every year to replace the old with the new.  Loyal to that leopard print she is.  

As for me, I'd like to get into something like this: a wildly printed tank suit with a skirt, if I feel more inclined to cover-up.  Isn't that just lovely?

Now jog your tail over to The Family Revised for more summertime musing and inspiration.  I've polish to choose and some miles to run.

7 comments:

  1. Laura!!! You are an exercising maniac! I love that your metabolism doesn't know what hit it! :) So great!

    Maybe you could find leopard print board shorts? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's an idea!! She'd LOVE those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "metabolism doesn't know what hit it" line.

    Like the dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I think of summer it snows here again. Last year my husband put a stop on matronly swimwear and we were able to (together) find a modest suit with cover-ups that didn't make me feel frumpy at Athleta.

    Will look forward to seeing pics of you in that sassy dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You. Go. Girl!

    Your exercising fanaticism (well dedication) has kicked my metabolisms bum. I thank you for it. Just gotta get back into gear.

    So, thanks for that! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Love the post, and the dress!!

    That's the way to tell your metabolism to "Bring it!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love learning more about different mum's countries as I read their blogs, but it had never occured to me until now that Americans weren't wearing the same 'rash tops' that we all wear in Australia. Jemimah wears a long sleeved one - her Dad and I wear a short sleeved one. Many kids wear long trousers as well - the modern version of neck-to-knees!

    Love the dress - it would inspire me too...but not enough to give up coffee!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

I'm gonna shut up now. Please, tell me what YOU think.